Sunday, June 14, 2015

Fathers Day Post

Hi everyone!! Welcome back to my blog.

In todays post I wanted to show you how you can make a bag and a card for fathers day. I did something similar to this for mothers day which you can see here.

In that post I made a card and gift box that matched - I used the same colour card stock and designer paper. However, in todays tutorial I wanted to show you how you can still have a 'matching' gift bag and card without having to use the same thing for everything. I will explain during the steps as to why I decided not to use the same designer paper for the card.

The bag I will be show you how to make tonight is the perfect size for some aftershave, chocolates or any other small gift you have for you dad or grandad. I love the vintage looking tag on the bag. I also show you how to make a very simple card. I went for a nautical theme and I love how it turned out! 



I think these look great together as you got the brown and cream tones on both of them and the pop of blue on the card which is very subtle!

I used a few products I recently purchased from Stamp Addicts - you can find their website here. If you are in the uk and in the Bedfordshire/Hertfordshire/Buckinghamshire area you should definitely visit their shop!

If you want to find out how to make these then keep reading and lets get crafting!






What you will need:
- Scoring board
- Paper cutter
- Designer paper cut to 12" x 8 1/2" - I got mine from TK Max
- Scrap coloured card stock cut to 2 1/8" x 4 1/4"
- Scrap piece of designer paper cut to 1 7/8" x 4"
- Scrap piece of white card stock or paper cut to 1 3/4" x 3 1/2"
- Ribbon - about 22" altogether
- Hole punch
- Double sided tape
- Ink - I used Distress Ink in 'Vintage Photo'
- Scissors
- Stamps 





Steps:

1) The first thing you will need to do is cut your chosen designer paper to 12" x 8 1/2". Then place it on a scoring board with the 12" side of the top score at 4 1/4", 5 3/4", 10" and 11 1/2". You will need to create two partial scorelines, one and 5" and one at 10 3/4", they need to be about 5" long. Don't worry too much about accuracy just try to get them as close as possible. The top of the paper will be the top of your bag. You will then need to turn your paper 90 degrees so they 8 1/2" side is at the top and score at 1 1/2" and 7 1/2"




2) You will then need to cut off the rectangle on the bottom left hand corner. I have highlighted it in the picture below



3) Fold and burnish all the straight scorelines then with the partial ones fold them the opposite way to the rest and burnish with your finger. As you can see by the picture below these scorelines fold towards you with the design of the paper facing downwards. You will then need to cut up your small squares on the bottom and notch them out slightly



4) Place some double sided tape on the edge where you took the rectangle from and hold in half to stick the bag together. Where the seam is you will want this to be the back of your bag




5) To do the bottom fold in the two squares then you want you second bigger rectangle to fold towards the back so make sure you fold towards the front first. This will help create a seamless looking bag




6) As you can see one of the scorelines we made is to fold over the top. This should be relatively easy. (TIP: Take your time doing this to avoid ripping the paper. I personally didn't find the need to make any cuts to help me)




7) You will then need to make holes for your ribbon. To do this pinch in both sides and use a piercing tool to poke your holes. Pinching your paper together will help to make it even. I wanted to try to make theses as even as possible to I did my first hole at 1 1/8" and my second at 3 2/8" (TIP: Pierce your hole below where you folded down the top - about 1/2" - as it will make it easier and again you don't want your paper ripping!)



8) You will then need to thread your ribbon through. I did them separate on both sides and used 10" for each side



Now lets make a tag for it!

1) Cut a scrap piece of card stock - I used a dark brown for mine - to 2 1/8" x 4 1/4"
2) Use a scrap piece of designer paper, the same as the bag, and cut to 1 7/8" x 4"
3) You will also need a scrap piece of white paper or cardstock to write/stamp your sentiment on. Cut this to 1 3/4" x 3 1/2"
4) Round two of the corners on the coloured card stock and designer paper than adhere them together as shown



5) Cut one of the corners on the side you haven't rounded off then use as a template to repeat on the other side




6) Punch a hole between you two corners you just cut off



7) Round all four corners on the white piece of paper, stamp your sentiment and sponge around the corners with the same ink. I love how rustic this looks!



8) Stick this onto the back of your tag and attach to the bag with more ribbon!


As you can see the bag is so simple to make and you could adjust the size to cater for so many different gifts! The handmade tag add a nice touch also.

Here is how you make the card!

PLEASE NOTE: I took these pictures very late at night so I apologise for the darkness and any shadows!
What you will need:
- Designer paper cut to 3 3/4" x 5 1/4"
- Coloured card stock cut to 4" x 11" scored at 5 1/2"
- Scrap piece of coloured card stock and designer paper
- Tape glider
- Scissors
- Paper cutter
- Cream bakers twine
- Stamps - I got mine from Stamp Addicts
- Ink - I used Paper mania 



Steps

1) Cut your chosen piece of designer paper to 3 3/4" x 5 1/4". Stamp a small picture or pattern on the top right hand corner. I wanted it to tie in with what I will be stamping one the card next so I used a nautical stamping cube I bought from Stamp Addicts. I used a paper mania ink in gold

I decided to go for this designer paper as oppose to the same one I used one the bag because I really wanted to use the circle stamp on the paper. I felt just having the boat wasn't enough. Had I used the same designer paper the circle on, it would have hidden the stamp! It's still has extremely similar colours to the bag so I felt they would look lovely together.



2) Stamp your main picture onto the centre of your designer paper slightly towards the bottom. I love this stamp set from Stamp Addicts as it has a wide range of pictures which I feel are perfectly suitable for a father days card! I chose the ship and stamped it in in a dark blue ink again by paper mania




3) Stamp the sentiment onto a scrap piece of dsp paper and cut around it to 3 1/2" x 1" then cut a piece of blue card stock to 3 3/4" 1 1/8". Banner both the edges. (TIP: If you banner the edges at the same time together you will get a even line, the dsp paper is smaller anyway so when you put it together you will have a border all around.)



4) Adhere both of your bannered edge piece together. Cut blue card stock to 4" x 11" and score at 5 1/2" to create you card base. Then tie some cream bakers twine around your stamped designer paper



5) Stick your stamped piece of designer paper onto your card base and then stick your sentiment onto the bottom



There you have it! I love this nautical themed card and I think it perfect for fathers day! You could also stamp a car or a plane I think that would look great!

At times with projects simple is best, I feel the card doesn't need anything else on it but I have made other cards previously that have stamps and embellishments all over them as I felt they lacked something.

Like I said the bag is perfect size for smaller gifts for your dads and grandad but you could make it bigger to accommodate bigger gifts.

I really hope you have a lovely fathers day and you spend the day doing something fun!

Let me know if you re-make any of these I would love to see them!

Don't forget if you re-make this tag me on twitter or instagram or you can use the hashtag #sukilucrafts.

Follow me on TwitterInstagramTumblrFacebook and Pinterest if you aren't already.

Happy crafting!

Susan x





























No comments:

Post a Comment