Wednesday, May 27, 2015

How To Create The Mother Of Pearl Effect

Hi everyone. Happy Wednesday!

In todays post I am going to show you how to create a beautiful effect called 'mother of pearl.' This is such a simple and easy thing to do but it makes for a stunning picture.



There are so many different ways you could use this effect. You could punch out shapes for your cards, write on a quote on it or even just frame it for a lovely piece in your house.

You only need a handful of items to make this and it takes hardly any time at all.

What You Need:
- Metallic acrylic paint - I used a white one
- A sandwich bag or cling film
- Polaroid photo paper - I got mine from Poundland - BARGIN!
- A brayer - I purchased mine from Hobbycraft
- Ink of your choice - I used Stampin Up! 'Melon Mambo'






Steps:


1) The first thing you will need to do is have your photo paper glossy side up. You can use any size of your choice. Also you will want to scrunch up your sandwich bag or cling film into a ball.






2) You will then need to put some of your paint onto some paper or tissue - I used kitchen roll - and dab your sandwich bag in the paint. You will then dab your paint on your photo paper. This doesn't need to be neat at all, in fact, the messier the better. Leave this to one side until it has completely dried.






3) Once your paint has dried you will then take your brayer and cover it in your ink that you've chosen. (TIP: Only roll the brayer in one direction whilst covering it in ink, this will ensure an even full coverage all over) You will then just simply roll your brayer all over your photo paper. Be sure you have a scrap piece of paper underneath so you can get right to the edges. You can go in any direction just as long as you cover the whole page.








That is it! Just a few simple steps and you get this amazing effect. You can experiment with different colours and also try different techniques when you apply the paint. Each time I did it I got a different look which I absolutely loved.

I also decided to try different colours today to see what effect it gave me. 



For the centre piece I used a pink metallic acrylic paint and 'Bermuda Bay' ink from Stampin Up! It came out great! Because of the pink and turquoise mixed together in different lights you get this purple/blue/pink sheen from where the paint was. I think this would look so nice which a cute quote in your bathroom or bedroom.

I also used a gold metallic paint and 'Rich Razzleberry' ink from Stampin Up! I think this is my favourite one out of them all. When you light reflects on it you get this beautiful rose gold colour. I absolutely love rose gold as I feel its a bit of a change from your typical gold or silver. 



I'm so happy with how all of these turned out and I can't wait to experiment with more designs! You could also do a some shapes with the paint - for example hearts or stars - then run the ink over. 

Once again, the possibilities are endless. It never ceases to amaze me whenever I type that because when it comes to crafting I feel it applies pretty much everytime!

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I'm actually working on starting up something else additionally at the moment but I will keep you informed in the next month or so.

I also mentioned in a tweet last night that I got a new camera for my blog. The pictures in this post are taken with a sony camera that I borrowed from one of my daughter but this is a fairly old camera and it's isn't 100% functional. I decided to purchase a new camera! Initially after reading some reviews and researching what other blogger used I was intent on getting a canon. 

Unfortunately the ones in particular I was interesting in were out of my price range. I went into my local Jessops and with the extremely helpful I service I purchased the Nikon D3200. I am extremely happy with my purchase and so far I'm impressed. You can find it here

This is a picture I have taken with my new camera.


I think the picture quality is amazing and I can't wait to use it more! 


Don't forget if you re-make this tag me on twitter or instagram or use the hashtag #sukilucrafts.

Follow me on TwitterInstagramTumblrFacebook and Pinterest if you aren't already.

Happy crafting!

Susan x
























No comments:

Post a Comment