Sunday, May 3, 2015

Matching Mothers Day Box and Card! - Step by Step Tutorial

Hi everyone! In todays step-by-step tutorial I will show you how I made this adorable box and card.




This is a brilliant idea for those of you who have mothers day coming up. The box is a perfect size for a wide range of presents from a beautiful necklace to some cheeky chocolates for all those deserving mothers!

Click 'read more' below and lets get crafting!




Let's begin with how to make the box.




What you will need:
- Designer paper of your choice cut 12" x 6 3/4" - I used Hobby Craft - Lillibet; A Tale of Friendship
- Scrap piece of coloured card stock (You will need to make sure you have enough for the card so you  it matches)
- Scoring board
- Scissors
- Stamp of your choice - I used the Stampin Up! Boho blossom punch
- Adhesive pearls - I purchased mine from Hobby Craft
- Ribbon
- Tape glider
- Mini glue dots
- Small matt
- Pointed object

Steps

1. First of you all you will need to cut the designer paper at 12" x 6 3/4"
2. Place the designer paper on the scoring board - pattern facing up - with the long side across the top and the short side on the right and left. Score the paper at 1 1/2", 5 1/4", 6 3/4" and 10 1/2"
3. Then turn the paper 90 degree so the short sides are now on the top and bottom. Score now at 1 1/2" and 5 1/4"
It should look like this when you turn it upside down, hopefully you can see the slight indentations on the paper.


4. Fold all your scorelines keeping the pattern side facing downwards
5. Cut up score lines on the squares on each side - notch out slightly. This means you will shave off the edges of the squares, if you don't do this when you start putting the box together you will have slight overlaps


6. Using sticky strips, glue or atg tape, put tape on all six of the square tabs. (Its easier to do this way rather than sticking the base together then doing the lid seperately)


Turn the paper so the longer sides are on the right and left, fold the bottom to squares in then onto the tab above them. You will then fold the next two squares above onto the same tab.
Once the base is stuck together it will look something like this.


7. You will now have stick the two squares at the top to the tabs below to make the lid. As I mentioned in step 6, you should have no overlap as you notched out the squares slightly


8. Punch out the flowers on the coloured card stock - I punched out two lots so I have some for the box and some for the card


9. Make the flowers pop slightly by pushing the centre into a mat with a small slightly sharp object (This is optional, it just gives the flowers more of a 3D effect)
10. Pop a pear in the centre of the flowers


11. Tie a ribbon around the box (Initially I chosen a small ribbon but I wasn't happy with how it looked so instead I used a thicker ribbon)
12. Stick the flowers onto the box using mini glue dots (TIP: arrange them first before sticking them down, play around with different ideas before you commit)



Well done! You're halfway there. Now you can begin to make the card!



What you will need:
- Coloured card stock - I used the same colour as the flowers on the box so they would match - two pieces; one 4" x 11" and one 5 1/4" x 3 3/4"
- Paper cutter
- Scoring board
- Designer paper - again, I used same as the designer paper from the box tutorial - 3 1/2" x 3 1/2"
- Heart Die - I used the X Cut Heart Dies from Hobby Craft, in this case I used the middle size
- Big Shot
- Mothers Day stamp - hobby craft
- Clear block for stamp
- Ribbon
- Flowers left over from previous tutorial
- Stamp of your choice - I used the Stampin Up! decorative label
- Ink - I used the Stampin Up! Bermuda Bay
- Sponge for ink
- White scrap card stock 
- Tape glider
- Mini glue dots

Steps

1. To start with cut your coloured card stock at 4" x 11", then place on a scoring board - with the long side at the top - and score at 5 1/2". This is now your card and it open portrait as oppose to landscape
2. Cut another piece of the coloured card stock at 5 1/4" x 3 3/4". You will then take the heart die and place it in the centre of the card slightly more towards the bottom. Put it through the big shot between two sandwich plates on tab 2

                                      


We will temporarily call this part A

3. Cut the designer paper to 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" then stick it to the backside A. Now this is our front layer piece (TIP: put the glue around the very edges of the designer paper or around the backside of the heart to prevent the glue from showing through)


4. Stamp the mothers day stamp onto a piece of white scrap card stock then punch out using the decorative label punch (The stamp that I used actually had a small pattern below 'day,' I didn't want to use that part of the stamp and it didn't fit in the punch I was using. I covered the pattern with some washie tape whilst I was inking it up then removed it when I stamped it on the paper. This just shows that you can even adapt different stamps to suit your design. Don't look at a stamp as the whole stamp, even if you just want to use part of it you can!)


5. Sponge around the edges (This is optional, I just love the subtle effect)


6. Stick the top layer onto the front of the card


7. Make a small bow with a ribbon (TIP: use thin ribbon for this, there are a lot of tutorials on youtube showing different techniques to making the perfect bow, it was difficult to picture the process. If you would like however I could do a post explaining different techniques, just comment down below to let me know)
8. Place the mothers day stamp, flowers and ribbon down (TIP: like always, arrange first before you stick down) this is your chance to play around with the design, I decided to add some pearls the bottom of the card as I felt as though there was too much empty space
9. Permanently stick everything down with glue dots or a tape glider


Amazing! You have now completed your matching box and card! I absolutely love this idea as you can cater for so many people and so many uses. Also you can completely play around with the design, colours, shapes and even sizes. The possibilities are endless. 



As you can see by my tutorial I changed my mind about the sizer ribbon I had initially chosen. This is the beauty of crafting, you have the option to change your mind about certain things as you go along. Don't let yourself get down if something doesn't go right as some things are just trial and error. Oh and, mess.....isn't optional, its a crafters right!

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and tag me if you decide to remake either of these with the hashtag #sukilucrafts. I'm on twitter, instagam, tumblr and pinterest!

Happy crafting and happy mothers day for the 10th May to all my US readers!

Susan x 


















No comments:

Post a Comment