Wednesday, June 24, 2015

How To Make Your Own Embossing Paste - #SukiluDIY

Hi everyone!

In todays post I wanted to show you another DIY project I think you will like. Now that I have been crafting for sometime and tried so many different techniques and effects I want to start branching out and adding other new things.

I have done anther DIY previously which I still love to use in my projects so I wanted to show you another one. My other DIY was how you can make your own spritzing inks which you can find here.

You can buy embossing paste and use stencils to create a patterned surface onto your projects! I think it looks amazing and I've seen some people use it in art journalling or making cards and watercoloring on top.

I wasn't sure exactly how I was going to like it so I didn't want to go out and buy the paste as I felt it was fairly expensive. I thought it would be so fun to make my own and experiment with that to see how I got on!

I'm so glad I did and I love how it turned out. Check out how it turned out. I made a rose gold paste and used a honeycomb stencil.


It's so easy to make and the best thing about it was I already had all the items and equipment I needed I didn't even have to go out and buy anything!

I also wanted to make a coloured one as oppose to the white paste I see which seems to be used most to show you can custom colour it to your needs.

If you want to find out how you can make embossing paste then keep reading!




What you will need:
- Talc powder
- Glue - I used Tacky Glue
- Paint - I used metallic pink and gold acrylic paint
- Containter
- Plastic spoon
- Measuring spoons
- Embossing folder



Steps

1) Place 2 teaspoons of glue into the container and add 6 teaspoons of paint of your colour choice - I added 3 pink and 3 gold to create a rose gold colour.
2) Measure out 20g of talc powder and gradually add it to the mixture and stir slowly. This can be very messy so be sure to add it the powder bit by bit.

When you have finished you should have a thick paste that looks something like the picture below.



3) Stick an embossing folder onto your card stock with masking tape and using a spatula spread the paste over the folder. You can be as neat or as messy as you would like with this. Sometimes the kind of project you are doing will look best with one or the other.
4) Simply pull the folder off slowly to reveal your design and using your heat tool set it.




There you have it! You can see just how quick and easy this is and as long as you keep it in an airtight  container this will last you for so long.

There are also so many different use for this. You could use it on a card, one some art work, art journalling and so many more!

I now feel like I can experiment more with embossing paste without having to go out spending a lot of money. What a bonus!

I will definitely be using it in future projects and sharing them on my blog so keep an eye out!

So go grab all the items you need, create your own paste and use it on a project. I would love to see what you come up with. Take a picture and put it on twitter or instagram with the hashtag #SukiluDIY so I can check them out!

Hope you enjoyed this short post and don't forget I will be posting a step by step tutorial this sunday. I decided to make a card centered around red, white and blue for independence day the following weekend. Can't wait for you to see it.

Follow me on TwitterInstagramTumblrFacebook and Pinterest if you aren't already.

Happy crafting!

Susan x















1 comment:

  1. This is great! I will definitely try this on one of my crafts! Thank you for such great info๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete