Sunday, June 28, 2015

Captain America Card - 4th July Inspired Step By Step Tutorial

Hi everyone! I'm super excited about this Sundays step by step tutorial!

Next weekend, on the 4th July, a huge number of people in the United States will be celebrating Independence day. I felt really inspired to create a card with a red, white and blue theme as not only do I have a large amount of readers from America visit my blog on a daily basis but it is my eldest daughters birthday on the 4th July!

This is the card I will be showing you how to make.


I thought it would be perfect to do a Captain America card as it incorporates all the colours I wanted to use, it involved a Superhero who is based in America and it's a card suited for all different ages and occasions!

I actually made a card very similar to this for a someone's 18th birthday as he is a huge marvel fan. I also made a few other marvel themed pieces which you can see in the picture below.



I absolutely love how the card turned out and I think it would be perfect for so many different occasions during the 4th July week. You could replace the Captain America shield with fireworks or anything else you think you would suit the person/occasion. I think it would even be perfect for a 'Happy 4th July' card!

I really hope you enjoy this tutorial and if you are not from America you could definitely use a similar method to use the colours from your countries flag.

If you want to find out how to make this then keep reading




What you will need:
- White card stock cut 8" x 4" scored at 4"
- Paper cutter
- Stamp of your choice - I chose a 'Happy Birthday' one I got from Hobbycraft
- Ink of your choice - I used Stampin' Up! 'Real Red' 
- Circle dies - Stampin' Up!
- Clear embossing stamp and powder
- Heat tool
- Scrap red, white and blue paper
- Star punch
- Glitter paper
- Adhesive of your choice

I usually have a picture here showing all the bit and pieces I will be using throughout the tutorial but I forgot on this occasion!

Steps:

1) To start off this card you need white card stock cut to 8" x 4" and score it at 4"



2) Then stamp your sentiment onto the top of your card. I initially stamped mine in the centre but later changed it so it was to the right. You will see this in a few steps. I used 'Real Red' ink from Stampin' Up! and a 'Happy Birthday' stamp I got from Hobbycraft



3) To create the Captain America shield you will need the four smallest circle dies from the circle die set available at Stampin' Up! and some scrap pieces of a card stock or thick paper. Use the smallest one to cut out a blue circle, then the smallest and next size up to cut out a red one to go around it then repeat until you have four pieces. To give them some texture and shine I embossed all my pieces. I just stamped some embossing ink onto them, poured on some powder and heat set with my tool - I just used tweezers for this part. You could also emboss a large section of card stock then cut using the dies; you would just need to make sure you emboss a big enough area






4) To add the star to the centre of the shield take some glitter card stock - I bought mine from Wilkinsons and punch out a star





5) I also wanted to add an element of the american flag to the card so I cut two pieces of red card stock 1/4" wide, one piece of blue 1/2" and punched out four more stars as I did in step 4. I cut the strips slightly longer then 4" so they would be easier to work this and I could just snip off the excess once I stuck them down



6) Position the strips where you would like them on your card - you can probably now tell why I moved my Happy Birthday sentiment. Once you are happy with where they use stick them down using an adhesive of your choice. I used Tombow liquid glue.



7) Stick the four stars down the blue stripe. Position them first where you would like before permanently adhering them to your card



8) Then finally to stick the shield onto your stick I would start with the biggest circle first as its easier to make sure its central then the rest will follow very easily



I am so happy with this card. I love it when something fairly simply turns out exactly how I want it to. You could whip up multiples of these in no time at all. The glitter paper adds such a beautiful touch to it as well.

As I said you could change some of the features of the card to suit your needs. You could change the shield to another marvel superhero if the person you're making the card for has another favourite. Especially if you have a lot of nephews or younger male family member - even older ones too!

I really hope you enjoyed this step by step tutorial and if you are celebrating the 4th July I would love to hear what you will be up to!

I would also love to know if you would be interested in seeing some different types of posts in the future and maybe a new post more than twice on week? Let me know what you think about that in the comments below as I have a few ideas of different things I could do.

Don't forget if you re-make this tag me on twitter or instagram or you can use the hashtag #sukilucrafts.

Follow me on TwitterInstagramTumblrFacebook and Pinterest if you aren't already.

Happy crafting!

Susan x







No comments:

Post a Comment