Sunday, July 19, 2015

Faux Flower Effect Card - Step by Step Tutorial

Hi everyone!! I hope you enjoyed the bonus post on Friday and I can't wait for you to see what Danielle will be bringing to Sukilu Crafts!

Now time for another Sunday tutorial. I know I did a 'Best Wishes' card last Sunday but I really wanted to show you this card I had made for someone at my husbands work. I think it's aboslutely beautiful and I also show you how I would decorate the inside of the card which I don't normally do.

I really wanted to make a card that had a faux flower effect on the front and I found this method to be a fairly easy one. This card is perfect for many different occasions, you would just need to switch up the sentiment to match your needs.

I also think it would be really fun to experiment with different colours for the flower as you would get different effects!


I really hope you enjoy this tutorial so keep reading to find out how to make this beautiful card!




What you will need:
- Caramel/Tan card stock cut to 10" x 7" scored at 5"
- Two pieces of white card cut to 3" x 4 3/4"
- Two pieces of pink card cut to 3 1/4" x 5"
- Punches of your choice - I used the Blossom punch, 1 3/4" scallop punch and the 7/8" scallop punch from Stampin' Up!
- Ink - I used Melon Mambo from Stampin' Up! 
- Sponge for inking
- Adhesive - I used Tombow liquid adhesive 
- Glossy accents
- Single hole punch
- Sheer ribbon
- Small gems
- Scrap wihte and pink card



Steps:

1) The first thing you need to do is cut your caramel card stock to 10" x 7" and score at 5" to create a side opening card base. Then you will need to cut two pieces of pink card to 3 1/4" x 5" and two white to 3" x 4 3/4"


2) Take one of the white panels and cut out a flower using the Stampin Up! Blossom punch - unfortunately it's discontinued but you could use any flower punch. You want to do it upside down to make sure its central then do it more towards the top



3) Sponge around the edges of the flower and the panel you used with Melon Mambo ink by Stampin' Up!


4) Using the same ink stamps corner patterns on the top and bottom right side of the card base. Also stamp your sentiment on the panels from the previous step and any other stamp you would like to use.  I also tied a sheer ribbon around it


5) Stick one of the pink panels on the card base and the piece with the sentiment over the top


6) Stick the flower you punched out over top of the space but turn it slightly so it doesn't align properly


7) Using the 1 3/4" scallop circle from Stampin' Up! punch out a circle from some scrap pink card. You then want to grab a pair of small sharp scissors and go around cutting into the circle with a 1 long sip then 2 short snip pattern 


8) Stick the scallop circle onto the flower


9) Taking a 7/8" scallop circle punch, punch out a circle from scrap white card or paper, sponge around the edges with the Melon Mambo ink and cut as you did in step 7


10) Stick your final scallop circle in the center of your flower then to finish off punch out a circle from the pink scraps using a single hole punch, glue to the center and put glossy accents over the top! I also added small gems to my butterfly and sentitment.


I never normally show you the inside of my cards so I thought it would be nice to for a change.

11) You should still have one of the white panels and one of the pink panels left. Simply stamp the same butterfly - on the white panel - you used on the front in the bottom right corner, sponge around the edges and stick to the pink panel. Then adhere it to the inside of your card




There you have it! You could even stamp another phrase in the centre on the inside of the card!

I love this card and I love projects that give me a lot of room to change things up. Using a patterned card stock or different colours for the flower would look amazing. If you try that please tag me in a picture or tweet me because I would love to see it!

Making your own card is so much fun and it's amazing how you can fully customise it to fit your needs exactly! I could make a similar card so many different ways because that the beauty of crafting!

I can't wait for my next Wednesday and Sunday post because they go hand in and hand and you finally see what I cooked up in the kitchen.

Also watch out for Danielle's post on Friday where she will be showing you her planner and give you a quick run down and review! 

Don't forget if you re-make this tag me on twitter or instagram or you can use the hashtag #sukilucrafts.

Follow me on TwitterInstagramTumblrFacebook and Pinterest if you aren't already.

Happy crafting!

Susan x











No comments:

Post a Comment