Wednesday, July 22, 2015

How To: French Fancie Style Cupcakes!

Hi everyone!

I'm so excited for todays post as it's something completely different to anything I've done on here before.

I had made some cakes for one of my daughters birthday during the 4th July weekend and everyone really liked them so I thought it would be fun to show you how I made them.

In the UK we have cakes called 'French Fancies', they usually come in pink, brown and yellow and are small square cakes, covered in icing with a pop of cream in the top. I was completely inspired by these as they are definitely a favourite of mine and my family. Does anyone else have these cakes in their countries? Let me know down below and also I'd love to know what your favourite kind of cake is!

                             

I wouldn't say these are 100% easy to make but they are definitely a lot of fun. You could make so many different colours and add a variety of different sweet treats to make them exactly how you would like!

I also made some boxes to put them in which will be my Sunday Step by Step Tutorial so stay tuned until the end to get a sneak peak!

If you want to find out how to make these cakes then just keep reading!




DISCLAIMER: Please be sure to be extremely careful when handing hot food or sharp kitchen utensils. Any young ones need to make these with a responsible adult. 
What you will need (for cake mix/batter):
- 200g/7oz self raising flour
- 200g/ 7oz caster sugar
- 200g/ 7oz butter
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons milk



Steps:

1) Set your oven to 180 degrees celsius/ 350 degrees fahrenheit and allow to heat up.


2) Measure out all your ingredients and add to one large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon or any large spoon slowly begin to stir the mixture - this will help to avoid the powders becoming messy when you use an electric whisk!


3) Once you have it all mixed together, take an electric whisk and mix together slowly making the speed higher and higher - if possible. Mix until you have no lumps and it's a thicker consistency.



4) Taking two tea spoons, spoon the mixture into small cupcake cases. I managed to make 27 cakes but it would depend on how big your cases are. I put about two teaspoons of the mix into my cases. TIP: Try and put the mixture in the centre so it will spread evenly.


5) Once you have filled all your cases then place your cakes into the middle of your oven and allow you cook for about 15-20 minutes. I would advise checking after 10 minutes. Once they are golden brown and raised they are finished. Leave to one side to cool down



6) Whilst you are waiting for your cakes to cool you can being to work on the top. To make the icing cream/frosting you will need to mix;
- 550g/ 19oz icing sugar (sieve to avoid lumps)
- 75g/ 2.6oz butter
- 3-4 tablespoons milk - start with 2 then add one or two more depending on what consistency you would like it be
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
Once you have mixed your frosting/icing creme, refrigerate for around 15 minutes to allow it to harden slightly

7) The next part took some practice but it was so much fun. There are many ways to do it but once you find your own it will be a breeze. I added a small dollop of jam on half of my cakes and left the others without. I then rolled out my icing to about 1/4" thick then took a circle cutter about 1 and a half times the size of my cakes and cut circles. You will then need to take your frosting and a heaped teaspoon sized ball on all of your cakes - including the ones with jam. Then simply take one of your icing circles then gently lay it on the cake. Carefully push down and using the jagged edges of the cake cases cut the icing to fit perfectly! You could also use a knife to cut around if you find then easier.

I also added some frosting on top using a piping bag but this is completely optional.







There you have it. I can say with completely honestly that they were absolutely delicious! 

Here a little sneak peak at the boxes I made for them!


I love how they turned out and I can't wait to share with you how I made them! They would be perfect for many different occasions like birthday parties, baby showers, wedding etc. You could even use them if you were having a gender reveal party - the colour of the frosting would tell everyone what the gender is. They would bite into the cakes and find out together. How fun would that be?!

Like I said let me know what your favourite kind of cake is - or even your favourite kind of homemade desert. 

It's the beginning of the summer holidays for us in the UK so it will definitely be spending some time in the kitchen with my granddaughters cooking yummy deserts!

Don't forget if you re-make this tag me on twitter or instagram or you can use the hashtag #sukilucrafts.

Follow me on TwitterInstagramTumblrFacebook and Pinterest if you aren't already.

Happy crafting!

Susan x










No comments:

Post a Comment