Sunday, July 5, 2015

Thinking Of You Card - Overlapping Stamps Method - Step By Step Tutorial

Hello everyone!! How has your weekend been? I'd love to hear what some of you got up to if you celebrated Independence Day yesterday.

In today's post I wanted to show you a method of stamping which I have used a few times before and I absolutely love it!

I have a lot of stamps that are just one single shape like a ballon, a flower, a heart - those kind of shapes. I thought it would be interesting to use a few different stamps of the similar shape to create the kind of image you could achieve by using a larger stamp. Not only do you have far more control of the outcome of your stamped image but you would be have multiple purposes for some of your stamps which you may not have even realised.

This method allows you to create some scenic pictures which look very neat and clean. It's so easy to achieve and when you have done it once - it's half the work the next time!

Here's a look at the card we will be making today using this method.



Basically all you need to do is stamp your single or any stamp you would like to use and fussy cut it. This essentially means to cut precisely around the edges so you will only have what is stamped cut out. Then you just use a temporary adhesive to mask off the stamp you have done so you can overlap it again or with another stamps. Masking it off prevents the stamps from mixing together and causing what would possibly be a mess. The reason I said once you have done it it will be half the work next time is because once you have fussy cut it, you can keep it and re-use it over and over again to mask off that same stamp. Obviously if you wanted to use a different stamp you would have to start over again.

This method, I believe, is perfect for beginners as sometimes bigger stamps can be very intimidating as they aren't particualry to stamp properly and that means you have to be a lot more precise. Also when you first begin stamping it's a lot easier to work with and buy smaller stamps.

You could also use this method for a birthday card and create a bunch of balloons with a single balloon stamp or if you have animal stamps you could group them together and make it look as though some are standing in front of one another.

If you want an idea of how to use this method then keep reading







What you will need:
- Yellow card stock cut to 11" x 4" scored at 5 1/2"
- Scrap paper
- Sponge
- Clear embossing powder
- Small sharp scissors
- Temporary adhesive
- Flower stamps - I used Indigo Blu ones
- Ink - I used 'Pumpkin Pie' and 'Daffodil Delight' from Stampin' Up!



Steps:

1) To create the card base you will need to cut your card stock to 11" x 4" and score at 5 1/2" to create a side folding landscape card. Then cut four strips of scrap paper to 1/4" x 6" and stick them down with a temporary adhesive to act as a border - as shown in picture below 



2) Next you will need to stamp your flowers onto some scrap paper and fussy cut them. You will need to be as precise as possible as they will act as a mask to allow you to overlap stamps. (TIP: The easiest way to do this is to use small sharp scissors and move the paper rather than the scissors as it makes it a lot smoothers going around small corners)



3) Stamp your first flower on the card base with 'Pumpkin Pie' ink from Stampin' Up. Then again using temporary adhesive mask it off so you can stamp your next flower. Keep repeating until you have the desired effect. I love using this method as you can overlap any size flowers - or any other shapes - without it looking messy. You could fussy cut more than one if you are doing a pattern all over but as I was stamping around the border I just needed one of each. I would also advise having some scrap paper under your card so stamp off the edge









4) Using a sponge and 'Daffodil Delight' ink from Stampin Up! sponge all over the card and then remove the scrap pieces of paper that were acting as a border



5) I originally was going to stamp my sentiment with clear embossing ink and emboss it in white but I thought it would look interesting if I stamped it in 'Pumpkin Pie' ink and embossed it with clear powder. I love how it turned out! You could experiment with different colours to really make it pop.  I think purple would look very cool



6) I wanted to make my border and flowers pop more so I decided to trace around it with a white gel pen. You could use a ruler to make this neat but I liked the messy effect! This is completely optional






As I said I believe this is a very beginner friendly method and as you have so much control on how the image turns out you can really adapt it to suit your needs.

I really enjoy experimenting with different techniques to see what does and doesn't work and I'm very rarely disappointed. I feel once you have tried this you will develop you own style and love the outcome. 

Have a look through your stamp collection and see what you have. Are there any stamps you have neglected cause you've never had a use for them? Are there some stamps you would like to use together but you can get it to look right? The possibilities are endless so just grab a piece of scrap paper and give it a go. 

I recently organised all my stamps and scraps so I will be doing a post in the next couple of weeks giving some tips and tricks on how to store them and sort them out. 

Let me know if there is anything you would like to see in the future!

Don't forget if you re-make this tag me on twitter or instagram or you can use the hashtag #sukilucrafts.

Follow me on TwitterInstagramTumblrFacebook and Pinterest if you aren't already.

Happy crafting!

Susan x















No comments:

Post a Comment