Sunday, July 26, 2015

Homemade Cake Boxes for Cupcakes - Step by Step Tutorial

Hi everyone!

Last Wednesday I did a post about how to make some delicious cupcakes - check it out here. I also made for boxes for them at the time so I thought I would share with you how I made them.

I love making these boxes and you could use them for a number of things and the possibilities are endless with how they turn out!


These boxes are perfect for so many different occasions. You could use them to give out pieces of cake at birthday parties, a present for a loved one and so many other things. They are very easy to make and having a large window at the top means there isn't a lot of space to decorate. At times I like the idea of this as it draws attention to what is in the box and also you don't have to put a whole lot on  it in terms of embellishments! 

Not only is it easy to make but you also don't need a lot of supplies. You could use a patterned paper for the box and you could achieve a beautiful little box.

If you want to find out how make it then just keep reading!



What you will need:
- Two pieces of card stock cut to 8" x 8"
- Scissors
- Scoring board
- Stamp of your choice - I just used a small single flower stamp I purchased from a craft store
- Ink for stamping
- Die of your choice - I used a label shaped
- Piece of acetate cut to 3 15/16" x 3 15/16" (between 3 7/8" and 4")
- Thin double sided tape
- Any embellishments you would like to add
- Sentiment stamps - I used one from Stampin' Up!
- Punch - I used the label punch from Stampin' Up!



Steps

1) The first thing you need to do is cut two pieces of card stock to 8" x 8". Then on both pieces score on one side at 2" and 6" then rotate 90 degrees and score again at 2" and 6"


2) On one pieces cut up all the squares on all fours corners and notch in slightly on each side. Then on the other piece cut off two squares and notch in slight on both sides on the other two remaining squares. See pictures below - the bottom piece is the lid


3) Stamp onto the lid of your card - this is completely optional, as you can see I used a very light ink and didn't press down too hard with stamping



4) Using the die of your choice - you can use any shape and make it as big or as little as you would like - center on of the bigger park of the lid on the underside. Keep it in position with some washi tape or a posit note. You will have to fold over the tab which has the squares missing from either side, this will cause a shaped dent but you won't really notice this when the whole box is together. You can see mine two pictures below




5) Cut a piece of acetate as close to 3 15/16" x 3 15/16" as possible. This is between the 3 7/8" and 4" mark. Then place some thin sticky strip around all for sides as close to the edge as possible. Stick this on the underside of your lid to create the window


6) On of the bottom of your box stick sticky strips on the two outside edges of each square - these will fold in the inside of the box. Then on the lid stick two pieces of each square again on the outside two edges as shown below.


You will also need to turn your lid so the stamped part is on the bottom and place some sticky strips on the tab missing squares on each side


7) Take the bottom portion of your box and fold two of the squares into the tabs below. You should end up with something that looks like the bottom pictures. You should be left with a tab and two squares sticking out of each side


8) Take your lid and stick the single tab under the part that left on the bottom portion of the box. TIP: You don't want to line this up flush with the scoreline and it will make it harder to close the box


9) Fold in the remaining squares with the tabs that are underneath them


10) I placed a small doily on the inside of my box as I thought it added a nice touch - this is completely up to you


11) Now to decorate your box. As I said I feel you don't need to use too much. I added a few flowers - I purchased these from The Works. 


12) Stamp your sentiment onto a piece of scrap paper and use whatever punch fits to cut it out. I also added some small pearls to give that little extra.


13) Finally tie a piece of sheer ribbon around it to complete the box!


Here are some other boxes I made. I used different shape dies on all them. I love making these as you can really play around with different designs!


The reasons I made these boxes were for the cakes I made in last Wednesdays post. As you can see from the pictures below you can fit two of the cakes in each box.






I like as you still have a bit of room on two of the corners you could also add any other sweets or treats you like. Or if you made the cakes smaller you would be able to add more in! 

As you can see they are really easy to make and they take very time at all. I also actually made some small victoria sponge styles cakes to go in them. You don't just have to use them for cakes.

I really hope you enjoyed this post. It was fun to do something a bit different and move on into the kitchen. Then you obviously me and my family had a good excuse to eat more cake! If you have any other requests or you would like to see other cooking related posts then definitely let me know. Maybe next time I could do something more healthy!

Has anyone re-made the cakes yet? How delicious do you think they are?!

I can't wait to show you all other posts I have planned!

Don't forget if you re-make this tag me on twitter or instagram or you can use the hashtag #sukilucrafts.

Follow me on TwitterInstagramTumblrFacebook and Pinterest if you aren't already.

Happy crafting!

Susan x





























No comments:

Post a Comment