Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Make Your Own Bookmarks - #SukiluDIY

Hey everyone!

So you may have heard my mention a few times that my youngest daughter is currently away at University at the moment. We are all still missing her ridiculous amounts! Since she has been away every now and again I like to send her little present, a lot of them are practical but some are just for fun.

Being away at uni requires her to do a lot of studying which usually involves reading a lot of books. Because she loves reading in general anyway I thought it would be nice to send her some little handmade bookmarks. 



I thought it would be fun to show you how I made her bookmarks because not only are they super easy to make but they make for fun little gifts for your friends and family.

If you want to find out how to make your own then just keep reading.



1) I first cut two pieces of card stock. One is 8 1/4" x 5 1/8" and the other is 8 1/4" x 2 1/2" (the white one). The reason I have done one bigger than the other is that I wanted to add a border to the sides of the white one.


2) Cover your thinner bookmark with a stamp on the front and back. I used my go to stamp with script writing on it. You could use a butterfly stamp or even a flower would look beautiful.


3) I love to corner round everything so I did this on my bookmark.


4) Then with my wider white bookmark I used a border punch to create a cute pattern on the longer sides. 


Don't worry if you don't get it right to the top/bottom. You can just trim it down slightly. It's more important to try and get it as symmetrical as possible. You could leave it like this or add a few little stamps as I decided to do.


5) You then want to laminate your bookmark. I have seen self laminating pouches you can buy but have never personally used them. Be sure you have a slightly border around your bookmark and you will be cutting it down so the laminated part is around your bookmark.



6) Finally trim around your bookmark so you have a border around 1/4" thick. It's a bit more difficult to do with the white bookmark as you have a border. Punch a hole in the top of your bookmark and add a piece of ribbon.


I love how the after I laminated my bookmark the stamping really popped!

As you can see they are super easy to make. There are so many more ways you could decorate these so if you were making these for someone in school you could make different ones for each subject!

I love making fun little things like these as they take no time at all. It's also a way to use up your scrap if you find you have way more than you need.

Don't forget if you re-make this tag me on twitter or instagram or you can use the hashtag #sukilucrafts.

Follow me on TwitterInstagramTumblrFacebook and Pinterest if you aren't already.

Happy crafting!

Susan x 





No comments:

Post a Comment