Wednesday, August 5, 2015

How To Make Your Own Mini Tiles - #SukiluDIY

Hi everyone!

Today's post is actually I project I did a few months ago and really want it give another go as I loved how it turned out! 

I will be showing you some mini tiles that make for beautiful decor pieces and can be used in so many ways! They are very similar to the faux tiles I made in this post here


However, these are made with clay and I feel they are much more customisable than the ones I did in the other post! 

These tiles are perfect for so many different things which I will explain at the end of this post!

If you want to find out how to make these then just keep reading.




What you will need:
- Polymer clay
- Oven
- Rolling pin
- Parchment or greaseproof paper
- Paint of your colour choice
- Paintbrush
- Sand paper
- Ink and stamp of your choice - remember this can just be a small part of a stamp (I think script writing or any form of writing looks very nice with this!)
- Ink and sponge for sponging around the edge
- Modpodge
- 3/4" square of dsp or patterned paper



Steps:

1) Preheat your over to 130 degree celsius or 266 degrees fahrenheit. Check your polymer clay instructions before hand incase its different!

2) Roll out your choice so it is around 1/8" thick



3) Cut out 1" squares, as many as you want, then place onto a baking tray on greaseproof or parchment paper. Bake in the oven for around 15-30 minutes until they are hard. Again be sure to check the instructions for the clay you are using


4) Once your tiles have cooled down apply around three coats of paint - or until you have the desired effect - and leave to dry. You then want to gently sand down the edges to give them a smooth finish 



5) There are two different ways I decorated my tiles and they are both fairly easy to do. One of them I found a stamp with some script writing on it, inked that part and pushed my tile on it to stamp. The other way was to cut up a piece of paper with a form of pattern to a 3/4" square and glue it on with some modpodge. 


6) I then sponged around the my tiles with some Vintage Photo ink from Distress Ink



The other two in the picture above are form the previous time I have made them.

I think these are so cute and I can think of a view different ways I would use them.

One way would be to decorate a card, you could just use a few to add a bit of dimension or use them to create a pattern. Another way would be for a picture in a frame. This would again add dimension and you can customise them as you would like to fit in with any picture! The final way which I think would be very cute is to use it on an envelope as a sort of faux stamp. I think would make for a unique envelope - if you were giving it to them by hand - especially if you add some fancy lettering for their name! I might just have to get my husband to give my a hand with that.

I really hope you have enjoyed this rather short post. I love doing little project like these as it doesn't take a whole lot time and also I don't have to 'waste' a lot of my products as you hardly need anything at all. I don't feel so bad if things go wrong!

I really hope you enjoyed tonights post and make sure to leave any requests down below in the comments section!

Don't forget if you re-make this tag me on twitter or instagram or you can use the hashtag #sukilucrafts.

Follow me on TwitterInstagramTumblrFacebook and Pinterest if you aren't already.

Happy crafting!

Susan x



No comments:

Post a Comment