Sunday, August 2, 2015

Milk Carton Box for Faux Tea Light - Step by Step Tutorial

Hey everyone!

A few weeks ago when I was out shopping I spotted some electric tea lights that I thought were so cute - I had to buy them. I had no idea what I intended to do with them so they were sitting on one of my crafting shelves for a while. I then came up with the idea of making some form of box to put one in with windows and it turned out to be beautiful.

So in todays post I wanted to show you exactly how I did it. Even if you don't want to use this milk carton box for electric tea lights you can use it for so many different things. You could even it for small gifts for a friend or family member. They are so cute!


It is extremely important to remember I only used an electric tea light in my box and I would not use any type of real candle in the box as open flames in a card box would be very dangerous! I even would advise not using an electric on for extensive amounts of time incase they became hot. 

If you want to find out how to make this cute milk carton style box then click below.




What you will need:
- Card stock cut to 8 1/4" x 5 1/2"
- Two 1 3/4" squares of patterned paper
- Two 1 3/4" squares of tracing paper
- Inks of your choice - I used chalk inks
- Small stamp of your choice
- Adhesives of your choice - I used Tombow Liquid glue and double sided sticky tape
- Scissors
- Square die
- Big shot
- Electric tea light

Steps:

1) Cut your card stock to 8 1/4" x 5 1/2". Then score on the long side first at 1 7/8", 3 3/4", 5 5/8" and 7 1/2". Then turn your paper 90 degrees so the skinny rectangle is at the bottom and score at 1 7/8", 3 3/4" and 5"

2) Cut two squares of your chosen designer or pattern paper to 1 3/4" sqaures and also two pieces of tracing paper to the same size


3) This is optional but I stamped my tracing paper squares. I used very pale pastel chalk inks and stamped small flowers on them


4) Stick your two patterned paper squares onto your card stock. It's important to make sure these go in the right place for when you put your box together. Have you card so the long skinny rectangle is on the left and the long side is on the top - this also should have a long skinny rectangle going across it. As you can see the card is split into four sections - a small top section, a slightly bigger section then two eqaul bigger sections. On the third section down is where your squares need to go. You will have four equal size sections going across you need to place your cut out squares on the second and fourth one. See the picture below for reference


5) Using the smallest square from a square die set - or any square die you would like - cut out a section from each of your patterned papers. Use your big shot for this part



6) Stick your tracing paper behind your cut out squares to create your windows

7) With your paper the same way from step 4 you will need to do some cutting. Remove the long skinny rectangle from the bottom left corner then cut up all your squares at the bottom


8) Place some sticky strips on the right tab and fold in half to stick together. Where the seam is will be the back of your box. Turn upside down to finish putting it together. You want to make sure the last square you fold on the bottom will go towards the back. 

9) Pop your electric tea light inside your box



10) Pinch together the top of your box and push in the sides that don't have the windows. The score lines at the top of the windows stop the box from caving in the sides completely which is what creates the milk carton like effect. I used mini pegs as my closure but you can use anything you would like.



I really wanted to show the beautiful effect so I took a video. Hopefully it shows!



I think these look amazing and make for cute little decor pieces.

Another perfect occasion to use these would be for halloween. You could make little pumpkin inspired ones.

I know I will be making a few more of these for the rest of my electric tea lights and placing them around the house. It's also a good excuse for my to go through my scraps and use some of them up. You only need small pieces so its perfect for this.

I really hope you enjoyed this tutorial and make sure to leave any requests down below in the comments section!

Don't forget if you re-make this tag me on twitter or instagram or you can use the hashtag #sukilucrafts.

Follow me on TwitterInstagramTumblrFacebook and Pinterest if you aren't already.

Happy crafting!

Susan x






No comments:

Post a Comment