Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Self Closing Box - Step By Step Tutorial

Hey everyone.

Now I realise it's not Sunday and this is something I would normally put up then but as I am currently still on holiday all post that go up until next Sunday are pre-planned. Me and Danielle are planning some exciting things in September!

If you have been reading my blog a while you will have seen a number of different kinds of boxes I show you how to make and when I saw someone make this on Youtube I just couldn't resit. There are so many different kinds of closures you can do on boxes but this box is different. It actually stays shut  all on it's own and you simply squeeze in the sides to open!


I have created mine pretty plain and simple but for me, the shape of the box is very appealing so I didn't want to add much to it. It's perfect though so a small gift for your friends or family. Little bits of chocolate or some lovely jewellery.


The box is fairly easy to make but it does require some precision! If you want to find out how you can create your own then just keep reading!



What you will need:
- Card stock cut to 6" x 8 1/2"
- Two pieces of dsp cut to 3 3/4" x 3 3/4"
- Adhesive of your choice
- Any embelishments you would like to add
- Mouse matt and scorling tool
- Paper cutter
- Scoring board


Steps:

1) The first think you need to do is cut some card stock to 6" x 8 1/2" and also two pieces of DSP to 3 3/4" x 3 3/4"


2) Place your card stock onto your scoring board with the long side at the top and score at 4" and 8". Turn 90 degrees anti clockwise and score at 1" and 5". With the 1/2" scoreline on the right (8" scoreline you have done on the long side - you shouldn't have to move your paper from turning it to score on the short side) score at 2" and 6" up to the one inch scoreline.

See picture below for reference. I have turned mine upside down so you can see the scoreline better.


3) You will then need to remove the two rectangles at the top and bottom of the 1" scoreline. Notch in  to create a tab. Also cut the partial scorelines you made and notch in slightly.


4) To give the box its shape you need to create some diagonal scorelines. I personally just use a mouse matt and a ruler. You need to create four scorelines. Two will come from the cut you made on the partial scoreline and the other two will come from the other cut. Turn your paper for they are at the top and score from the cut to the two bottom corners of the rectangles they are above.


This is an example of the first one




Once done it should look something like this


5) Fold and burnish all your scorelines. The diagonal scorelines should be folded back so they pop out towards you


6) To cut your dsp so you can stick to your box you will need to find the centre of one of the sides. Pinch together or mark it with a pencil


You will then need to cut it on your paper cutter from the centre point to one of the corners on the side opposite it.


You will then need to cut again from the center point of the other corner of the side opposite it. You should end up with six pieces as shown below. Be careful not to get them mixed up


7) Stick your dsp panels to your box



8) Place some sticky strip on the tab you have created and fold in half


9) Fold in the bottom pieces. Try to make sure the last fold go towards the back. 


You are done! How cute it that. The fact you don't even have to worry about any sort of closer is a bonus. It makes it perfect for smaller goodies as you won't have to worry about them falling out.

I really hope you enjoyed this post. I'm so looking forward to when I'm back from my holiday and I can work hard on doing some fun posts and other things for all of you! I know Danielle has something cool things coming up.

I think it's safe to say boxes are my favourite thing to make. I'd love to know what yours is?

Don't forget if you re-make this tag me on twitter or instagram or you can use the hashtag #sukilucrafts.

Follow me on TwitterInstagramTumblrFacebook and Pinterest if you aren't already.

Happy crafting!

Susan x



No comments:

Post a Comment