Tuesday, November 24, 2015

DIY Advent Calendar Part 2 - #24DaysOfBlogmas Day 6

Hey everyone! Welcome to part 2 of how to can create your own advent calendar!

If you missed part one where I show you how to can make your boxes then check out the post here.

Today I will be showing you how to put it all together. It's pretty simple to do and I think it not only makes a pretty cool advent calendar but also looks like as a decoration piece.


I wanted to create the effect of a christmas tree which is very easily done with 25 boxes.

If you want to find out how to assemble your advent calendar then just keep reading.




Steps:

 Before begin the tutorial I thought I would mention that before I started putting it together I glued to box of the box shut so only the door would open. 

1) You will need to start off with a big piece of thick card board and cut it down to 11" x 12 3/4". Arrange your boxes how you want to make sure your card is big enough and you like how it looks. To get the christmas tree shapes you will need to have from bottom to top 4, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 box


2) Roughly trace out the edges of the boxes on the sides of the bottom row and the two above. Also trace out your top box. See picture below


3) Measure out 1" from the horizontal line on each side and mark with an x. The box should be the right size where it should be right on the edge. Also measure half way across the top of the card board and mark with another x


4) Connect the two bottom x's with the top. You should then have the shape of a christmas tree. Make sure the lines for you top box is within the christmas tree. Remove all pieces of card outside the christmas tree



5) Initially  I covered the edges of my tree with a white glitter card stock. Once the advent calendar was finished I wasn't happy with how it turned out so I changed it. It was very easily done and I ended up much happier. Bear this in mind when you are covering the edges. You could leave them plain if you wanted to


6) Begin by sticking on your bottom four boxes


7) With the next two the middle four boxes are directly above. I would suggest sticking these down before the side ones as it helps it to look smoother



8) Continue all the way up row by row making sure you to centre to whole row before permanently sticking them down


9) As I mentioned I wasn't happy with the edges. I cut small squares from the same dsp I used to decorate the boxes and layered them on the edge. I glued them down and just simply trimmed off the excess. Just start with the bottom them work your way up so it has the same layering effect all the way up




Now it's just a case of filling it all up with some yummy sweets or chocolates!

Will you be giving this a go for someone? Or even making one for yourself?

I really hope you enjoyed this tutorial and be sure to check back again tomorrow for something new!

Follow us on TwitterInstagramTumblrFacebook and Pinterest if you aren't already.

Happy crafting! & Blogmas!!

Susan x






No comments:

Post a Comment